Friday, October 30, 2009

First Water Marbling Attempt

I picked up ChG Far Out the other day on clearance at Sally's. WooHoo! I am not too into browns (I don't think I own any except this one), but this turned out to be lovely.




2 coats, looks like a caramel brown IRF- good enough to eat!
I wore this for a day then I decided to try water marbling, since it seems to be a big hit right now.
I used Eyeko Pretty Polish for neat nails and SH Diamond Strength in *white* (not sure of the real name)

Here's how they turned out:


I like my ring finger in the above pic the best

Not too great, but this is my first try. It was hard to figure out what water temp to use. I read room temp somewhere and then after I did this I read cold water is good. Can anyone confirm?

Sometimes the polish would sink to the bottom of the cup or it would harden too fast and create a film. And you can't even see the Eyeko pink one! Ugh, very frustrating and harder than it looks.
I did put my nail in straight down instead of parallel to the surface of the water, which now I know is wrong.

But there's always next time.

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

Colette said...

Great for a first try! Here's some of what I've learned:

-I use room temp water. I have heard warm & cold, I'm thinking it depends what polish you're using, so room temp is a compromise
-Try lots of different polish - different amount of pigment react differently (sinking to the bottom or spreading very quickly)
-Use a smaller cup - seemed to me to help with drying, mine was drying at the edge but if it goes all the way out to the cup the middle stays mixable if that makes sense.

I'm hoping to get a tripod soon & maybe do a tutorial =)

Nessa said...

Thanks for the info, Colette! You are the lady to ask. I e-mailed you a couple days ago asking you about it. But thanks for getting back to me on here.

I would love to see a tutorial for marbling by you, especially the OPI DS one. You are soo good at it!